In recognition of this year’s Memorial Day holiday, Team AgLearn is providing information to honor those who have given their lives in service of their country.
The information below is a portion of content quoted from Secretary Tom Vilsack’s address to all USDA employees on May 26, 2022.
"Originally called Decoration Day External Link External Link, Memorial Day is a day to celebrate those who served in the armed forces and sacrificed their lives in service to our country. There are countless brave members of our armed forces who paid the ultimate sacrifice because of their love for our country. They fought and died to defend our democracy which is based on dignity and freedom.
As the Memorial Day holiday approaches, let us respectfully and gratefully remember those who laid down their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms we experience every day. Let us reflect on their service, and with a renewed commitment, steadfastness, and love for our country, let us continue serving each day with the same spirit and heart as these brave warriors."
- From the Forest Service: Remembering those Lost in the Line of Service External Link – Information memorializing fallen USFS employees while in the line of duty.
- From USDA: “In Quiet Remembrance of Patriots and Comrades” External Link – Information about USDA employees who have served and died.
Additional Information and Resources
- Memorial Day External Link
Read about Memorial Day on the GovInfo website. A national observance on the last Monday in May to honor those who sacrificed their lives while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Memorial Day: May 30, 2022 External Link
The United States Census Bureau compiled statistics to honor the men and women who served and died in our nation's wars.
- Memorial Day and NPS External Link
NPS remembers those who lost their lives while serving in the US military.