In honor of this year’s Disability Pride Month, Team AgLearn is providing information and resources to encourage engagement with this important event, which occurs annually in the month of July.
Disability Pride Month Background
Information from the US Forest Service’s Publication Inside the Forest Service on Disability Pride External Link: “Signed on July 26, 1990, the law [Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)] prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including employment, transportation, housing and access to various government programs and services. Since 1990, we celebrate Disability Pride Month annually in July. It's a time for people living with disabilities to honor their many unique talents and skills.
Disability, visible or invisible, can happen at any point in a person's lifetime. As individuals, we experience disability differently. Celebrating Disability Pride includes expanding your consciousness of those living with disabilities and reflecting upon their contributions. Increased awareness invites opportunities to change how disability is perceived, end stigmas and promote expanded appreciation as a natural part of human diversity.”
AgLearn Resources for Disability Pride Month
- Course – Americans with Disabilities Act: An Overview for Managers
- Course – Supporting Workers with Disabilities External Link
- Course – Equity First: The Path to Inclusion and Belonging External Link
- Course – UX Foundations: Accessibility External Link
- Course – Introduction to Disability and Accessibility External Link
- Course – Expert Insights on Diversity & Inclusion External Link
- Video – The American with Disabilities Act (ADA) External Link
- Book – Disability Awareness: Working with People with Disabilities Study Guide External Link