In celebration of this year’s National Disability Independence Day, Team AgLearn is providing information and resources to commemorate the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
In the United States, July 26 is recognized annually as National Disability Independence Day, commemorating the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) into law in 1990.
The ADA, first introduced in 1988, was designed to build on the progress of the Rehabilitation Act. The goal was to expand the rights of the disability community in a single law by ensuring their freedom from employment discrimination and access to all levels of government, public establishments, transportation, and communication.
Congress passed the bill in 1990 with strong majorities in both legislative bodies: 327-28 in the U.S. House of Representatives and a 91-6 vote in the U.S. Senate.
The landmark legislation has served as a de facto bill of rights for Americans with disabilities by assuring their access to economic and civic opportunities. Its passage represented an unprecedented bipartisan effort to acknowledge the centuries of discrimination suffered by the disability community, and a fundamental change to how they live their lives.
AgLearn Resources for National Disability Independence Day
- Course – Americans with Disabilities Act: An Overview for Managers
- Course – Supporting Workers with Disabilities External Link
- Course – Equity First: The Path to Inclusion and Belonging External Link
- Course – UX Foundations: Accessibility External Link
- Course – Introduction to Disability and Accessibility External Link
- Course – Expert Insights on Diversity & Inclusion External Link
- Video – The American with Disabilities Act (ADA) External Link
- eBook – Disability Awareness: Working with People with Disabilities Study Guide External Link
- eBook – Positively Purple: Build an Inclusive World Where People with Disabilities Can Flourish External Link
Federal Resources and Information
- ADA Information and Resources from the Department of Justice External Link
- ADA Information and Resources from the Department of Labor External Link
- Statute: Titles I and V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) External Link
- Section 508 Information and Resources External Link
- USDA: Section 508 Accessibility and Compliance External Link