In honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month 2023, celebrated annually from September 15th until October 15th, Team AgLearn is providing information and resources to encourage engagement with this important month-long event.
About National Hispanic Heritage Month
Each year, we at AgLearn observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15 by celebrating the histories, cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.
The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988, on the approval of Public Law 100-402 External Link.
The day of September 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September 18, respectively. Finally, Columbus Day or Día de la Raza, which is October 9, falls within this 30-day period.
More information about National Hispanic Heritage Month External Link
USDA's Hispanic Heritage Month Observance Event
To celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (OASCR) is collaborating with the National Agriculture Statistics Service (NASS) to host a virtual event. Please register in advance.
Date: Thursday, October 5, 2023
Time: 1:00pm – 2:30pm ET
- More information about the USDA Hispanic Heritage Month Observance Event External Link
- Register for the USDA Hispanic Heritage Month Observance Event External Link
- Course: How to Succeed as a Latina in a Global Work Environment External Link
- Course: How to Be More Inclusive External Link
- Course: Empowering BIPOC through Mentorship External Link
- Learning Path: Diversity and Inclusion in Technology External Link
- eBook: Diversity and Inclusion in Latin American and Caribbean Workplaces External Link
- eBook: The Power of Latino Leadership: Culture, Inclusion, and Contribution External Link
- Book: Leading Latino Talent to Champion Innovation External Link
Federal Resources for National Hispanic Heritage Month 2023
- USDA Hispanic Employment Program Information External Link
- National Park Service Resources for National Hispanic Heritage Month External Link
- U.S. Department of Education Resources for National Hispanic Heritage Month External Link
- National Archives Information about National Hispanic Heritage Month External Link
- National Hispanic Heritage Month 2023 Stats from the U.S. Census Bureau External Link