In celebration of this year’s Thanksgiving Day holiday, Team AgLearn is providing information and resources to encourage engagement with this festive season!
Thanksgiving Holiday Background
On October 3, 1789, President George Washington issued a proclamation naming Thursday, November 26, 1789, as an official holiday of "sincere and humble thanks." The nation then celebrated its first Thanksgiving under its new Constitution. On October 3, 1863, President Lincoln made the traditional Thanksgiving celebration a nationwide holiday to be commemorated each year on the fourth Thursday of November.
- Thanksgiving holiday information from the National Archives External Link
- Thanksgiving holiday information from the Smithsonian Institution External Link
- Thanksgiving holiday information from the Library of Congress External Link
- Course: Introduction to Gratitude Meditation External Link
- Video: Gratitude and service External Link
- Video: Creating a Thanksgiving Card External Link
- Video: Calculating holidays: Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, etc. External Link
- Audiobook: An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States: Revisioning American History External Link